If you are planning on upgrading your SolidWorks WorkGroup system to version 2013 or 2014, please review the following steps to ensure the upgrade process will not cause any problems and downtime.
Client Upgrade – NOTE: SolidWorks 2013 will NOT install on Windows XP operating systems for client machines. SolidWorks 2014 will NOT install on Vista operating systems for client machines.
Server Upgrade – NOTE: When upgrading Workgroup Server to 2013 or 2014, keep in mind that SolidWorks Explorer and the Vault Admin tool will not install on a 2003 Server OS. So you can upgrade your workgroup vault and run the workgroup service, but you cannot change any vault settings from the server. You will have to install the vault admin tool on another machine with Windows 2008 server or Windows 7.
- Secure the proper serial numbers and / or updated license files
- Stop the service PDMWorks Workgroup Server
- Make a back up of the existing VaultData folder. If you are unsure where the vault data folder is located, go to the Workgroup Server PC and open the registry editor by typing REGEDIT at the run prompt.
- The vault data folder path is located in the key HKLM\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks version\PDMWorks Workgroup\Server\rootPath.
- Upgrade the PDMWorks Workgroup Server to 2013. For help with the install process, refer to the install_guide.chm located in \pdmwserver\Support\Help\English on the SolidWorks DVD. This document has a section under SolidWorks Workgroup PDM called ‘Installing a Workgroup PDM Server’.
- Once the update is finished, the service will restart and run a validation process. The validation may take anywhere from only a few minutes to a few hours depending on the size of the vault
- Upgrade clients from old version to new version.
- Upgrade clients who only use SolidWorks Explorer to SolidWorks Explorer 2013 or 2014
- Upgrade clients who only use the Web Viewer from eDrawings 20XX to eDrawings 2013 or 2014
If you are using the Workgroup PDM Viewer tool, make sure the following windows components are installed on windows 2008 server:
You must install Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) before installing the Viewer including:
- Web Management Tools
- IIS Management Console
- World Wide Web Services: Application Development Features
- .NET Extensibility
- ISAPI Extensions
- ISAPI Filters
5. NOTE: SolidWorks and Workgroup PDM must be at the same version so both must be upgraded to the current version at the same time. It is not necessary to check in or release ownership of files prior to the upgrade.